Amphilophus citrinellus ' Costa Rican Red-head'

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Kevin Cumberton

Amphilophus citrinellus ' Costa Rican Red-head'

Post by Kevin Cumberton » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:31 pm

Anybody know anything about the Costa Rican varitey of Amphiliophus citrinellus that has been dubbed 'Red-Head' or "Red barred".

Ive been looking for A. amarillo stock but have been unable to do so. I saw a red barred midas and it looked great. What the deal with them. ??

seveland

Post by seveland » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:41 pm

they are just collected from Costa rica, look a little different. the red barred midas you saw, was it death angel's ? if so then that's not a costa rica red face, he produced those red barred himself by selective brreding of barred midas and red ones.

Kevin Cumberton

Post by Kevin Cumberton » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:06 pm

Thanks for the info Jeff. Yes, it was Death_Angels I was looking at. Looks like a citrinellum with festae colors.

seveland

Post by seveland » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:17 pm

AikidoGuy wrote:Thanks for the info Jeff. Yes, it was Death_Angels I was looking at. Looks like a citrinellum with festae colors.
exactly, they rival festae in color, but I think he had said that they only get intense like that when breeding. I had gotten 5 juvies from him. 3 of them had turned gold (yellowish-orange) the other two that stayed barred are red barred. this pic isn't very good, more focused on the glass then the fish, but will give you an idea what they look like:

the male is about 6"-6.5" the female about 4.5". that pic was taken a couple weeks ago, they seem to get redder as they grow.

JesseGoslee

Post by JesseGoslee » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:07 pm

I got one from Rapps about 9 months ago. She has since lost her bars and is now white with a red head.

Death Angel

Post by Death Angel » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:35 pm

This is the female that started it all. I got her from a friend and board member from aquamojo when I picked up El fuego. He had ordered 4 from jeff Rapps and looked like the other big head fry. At 5" I pm jeff to tell him that one of my barred midas from him was changing to a nice red color. He told me that some barred midas show color.

I now have a 8" Red barred male I feel good that it will stay red barred and have one group of fry from it and the above fish. I hope to get this colors to breed true with this spawn. They look much different from the Costa Rica Midas. I also have a young pair of them now. But they eat the fry

The difference is the Costa's have Longer and better fins. only the upper part of the body.

The Nic. Midas have better Mass and the body gets red from Head to tail

When I started breeding them I made sure I could run the Midas back to Jeff. I feel they is no better place to get fish. Always gets back to me and has top quality fish.

Davel

Post by Davel » Fri May 05, 2006 10:43 am

My red headed Midas from Jeff have just spawned. Someone said that they lose the red as they get older - have people found that to be the case?

Kevin Cumberton

Post by Kevin Cumberton » Sat May 06, 2006 7:44 pm

I spoke with Jeff sometime ago about the fish. He mentioned his wild breeders of the Red-Faced race had lost all the red coloring a while after being in captivity and breeding. Thinking it had something to do with what they were eating in the Costa Rican habitat.

Death Angel

Post by Death Angel » Sun May 07, 2006 4:23 pm

My pair did the same until they start to spawn. My female is very red and the male has started to color up as well. I think it has more to do with the light as well.

Rick Thibert

Re: Amphilophus citrinellus ' Costa Rican Red-head'

Post by Rick Thibert » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:25 pm

I know this is a very old thread, but I purchased Davel's pair that he mentions above. I thought I'd share some pics and vids of them settling in today:

BC

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:51 pm

wow! Nice find, how big is the male? Looks very powerful.

Rick Thibert

Post by Rick Thibert » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:12 am

He is around the 10" mark and she around the 7" mark. I'm very pleased with them! :)

PS............. you gave up some cracking fish Dave!! I'll bet you're having second thoughts! :) LOL!! :)

BC

Davel

Post by Davel » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:24 pm

There's more where they came from!

Rick Thibert

Post by Rick Thibert » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:11 am

:)

Are you planning on growing some on for another pairing?? Great fish! :)

BC

Return to “Central American Cichlids”